Saint Paul's Church

897 South Columbus
This 18th-century church is one of New York's oldest parishes (1665-1980). It was used as a hospital following the important Revolutionary War Battle at Pell's Point in 1776, and was the scene of various military developments for the next six years. ... more
This 18th-century church is one of New York's oldest parishes (1665-1980). It was used as a hospital following the important Revolutionary War Battle at Pell's Point in 1776, and was the scene of various military developments for the next six years. The church stood at the edge of Eastchester village green, the site of the "Great Election"(1733), which raised the issues of Freedom of Religion and Press. The adjoining cemetery contains burials dating from 1704. Increasing industrialization of the area around St. Paul's Church in the early 20th century led to the decline of the parish. In 1942, as part of an effort to revitalize the congregation and draw attention to the site's historical significance, the interior of the church was restored to its 18th century appearance, based on the original pew plan of 1787. A committee chaired by Sara Delano Roosevelt, mother of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, raised funds for the project. While the restoration initially succeeded in reviving the congregation, by the 1970s the parish had dwindled to only a handful of worshippers. The last regular Sunday service at St. Paul's occurred in May 1977. In 1980, the site was transferred ... more

This 18th-century church is one of New York's oldest parishes (1665-1980). It was used as a hospital following the important Revolutionary War Battle at Pell's Point in 1776, and was the scene of various military developments for the next six years. The church stood at the edge of Eastchester village green, the site of the "Great Election"(1733), which raised the issues of Freedom of Religion and Press. The adjoining cemetery contains burials dating from 1704.

Increasing industrialization of the area around St. Paul's Church in the early 20th century led to the decline of the parish. In 1942, as part of an effort to revitalize the congregation and draw attention to the site's historical significance, the interior of the church was restored to its 18th century appearance, based on the original pew plan of 1787. A committee chaired by Sara Delano Roosevelt, mother of President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, raised funds for the project.

While the restoration initially succeeded in reviving the congregation, by the 1970s the parish had dwindled to only a handful of worshippers. The last regular Sunday service at St. Paul's occurred in May 1977. In 1980, the site was transferred from the Episcopal Dioceses of New York to the National Park Service. The site opened to the public in 1984 and is operated under a cooperative agreement with the Society of the National Shrine of the Bill of Rights at Saint Paul's Church, Eastchester.


Drag the street view to look around 360°.
Use the arrow buttons to navigate down the street and around the neighborhood!

There are no events taking place on this date.

Info

897 South Columbus
Mount Vernon, NY 10550
(914) 667-4116
Website

Editorial Rating

Admission And Tickets

Free

This Week's Hours

Monday to Friday: 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM

Nearby Subway

  • to Dyre Ave -- 0.5

Other Historic City Sites Attractions

Snug Harbor

Located on the north shore of Staten Island, just minutes from the Staten Island... view

Horse & Carriage Rides

Carriages run year round, and can be found on Central Park South (West 59th Stre... view

Port Authority Bus Terminal

A major transit hub for buses arriving from outside of New York City, this huge ... view

Grand Central Terminal and Station

New York's extraordinary railroad station, designed in Beaux-Arts style by Reed ... view

 

Chrysler Building

After its completion in 1929, William van Alen’s 77-story Chrysler Building was ... view

Washington Memorial Arch

Erected in 1892, the marble Washington Memorial Arch designed by Stanford White.... view

Vanderbilt Hall

The stunning entry hall to New York's magnificent Grand Central Terminal, Vander... view

Grace Church

The first Grace Church was established in 1809 and until 1845 members worshipped... view