The Seventh Regiment Armory, located at 643 Park Avenue in New York City, was built between 1877 and 1880 for the Seventh Regiment of Manhattan. The regiment was originally dubbed the "Silk Stocking Regiment" because of its socially prominent members.
Today the Armory (as most New Yorkers call it) is home to the New York National Guard. In addition, the facility hosts many groups and accommodates many uses. The main hall is rented out to antique, art and antiquarian book shows from Labor Day to Memorial Day. The period rooms are sites for corporate- sponsored events and social functions. The main, one story drill hall measures 55,000 square feet, with an 80 foot-high roof supported by a truss system. It is one of the largest non-columned spaces in New York City.
The Seventh Regiment Armory was designed by Charles Clinton, a regimental member. The smaller, public social rooms such as the library and meeting rooms were designed by Louis C. Tiffany, Stanford White and other well-known firms of the time and remain some of the finest surviving examples of American interior design of its era. The building is listed on the State and national registers of historic places, was designated as a National Landmark in 1986 and its exterior as a New York City Landmark in 1967. The interiors were designated New York City landmarks in 1994.