The Bernard B. Jacobs Theatre (formerly the Royale) was originally built in 1927 by real-estate magnates the Chanin Brothers as part of a three-theatre complex that also included the Majestic (a large musical house) and the Theatre Masque, now the John Golden (a small house). The three theatres enabled producers to move shows based on their ticket sales to the most appropriately-sized venue. In 1930, the Chanins transferred ownership of all three houses to the Shuberts. During the Depression, control of the Jacobs passed to John Golden, who renamed the theatre after himself and ran it from 1934 to 1936. The Shuberts regained control in 1936, restored its name to Royale, and leased it to CBS as a radio studio until 1940. It was renamed the Bernard B. Jacobs in 2005 to honor the president of the Shubert Organization from 1972 - 1996.
Address: 242 W 45th Street
Cross Streets Bet. Broadway & 8th Ave
NYC.COM'S TOP 10 THEATERS